Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Can I salvage my GB Instruments multimeter?

I was playing with the wonders of transformers in series and somehow
fragged my multimeter (sure, the voltage was like 1000V, but at like
..0000001A ) and anyways, now I get a steady 4.5V AC for my main wall
(normally about 121V if my memory serves me) current and .05V DC for
fully charged NiMH AA's (normally around 1.65V). Is it possible my
multimeter's voltage sensor has been reprogrammed by the high voltage
to a factor of about 26? Can this be remedied without trashing my
precious multimeter?

GB Instruments GDT-11 multimeter. $20 at Wal-mart.

-Andrew