DejaVU

Default so he has a point

Gunner scribed in
:

hiya Gunner

didn't think I'd see replies till Monday, but the time difference has
foxed me again....

so, Gunner and his survivalist buddies have a point after all!

Ill refrain from the Neener Neener Neener! G

fine... I'm just giving you guys the thumbs up and I might be joining
you on m.s

Btw..the usual crop of regulars are still posting on
misc.survivalism, even though the neighborhoods are black as the
bottom of a coal mine. Perhaps proper preperation prevented ****
poor performance?

That's a feat in itself! I can cool the local stuff like running a
laptop on a car battery etc, but how the hell do they connect to the
web?

Now....how much fun would this have been if it happened during a
blizzard in Febuary?
How many millions of people would be popsicles until spring thawed
out their corpses?

that's a very bad thing to even think about and is not in keeping
with the American way and you sohuld be ashamed of yourself. how
could that possibly happen in February? (-:

We are survivalists, not be cause its a neat club to join..G
but because Bad **** does happen.

I'm in a small town known for power outages. when I was young, we
had our own coal fired power station. that was shut down in favour
of a national grid connection. this was in the middle of the
Aparthied/gorilla war. I thought it was nuts to hang everything on
the end of a HT line, when blowing up a pylon is so easy. anyhow,
very few were actually blown up, but we lose a pylon to bad
maintenance about once a year and have it down for 12 hours or so.

but I still fail to understand why the nuclear plants shut
themselves down? anyone care to explain?

When the generators started to get over loaded, and out of sync
with the rest of the grid(s), they kicked out several thousand
safeties, most of which were intended as major shut down.

ah, ok, now I get it....

so the answer is some way to isolate them from each other without
shutting down everything. some network planner is going to get grey
hair...

here in town, if everything goes off, the first things to come back
on are the hospital, then the University. then suburbs in sequence.
what sequence? dunno, but I suspect it goes 'mayors house (or
electrical supplierz employees?), then suburb with most councillors,
then the rest of us'

remember, the best thing you can have on your block is a councillor.
he will ensure that the sidewalk grass is cut, snow plowed etc etc,
before the next street (-:

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /