Posted to rec.woodworking
Paul Stewart

Default Irwin Quick Grip clamps slipping

Well at least I'm not alone Mac, I did actually use mine once to spread
apart a dovetailed box I had to beat together, duh me, but anyway, the ones
I used that day were not slipping and they worked decent for spreading. All
in all I'm very disappointed in Irwin for these clamps, I have other
products by Irwin I do like, but these are too problematic to be useful.

Paul

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:21:49 -0600, "Paul Stewart"

wrote:

Paul... not really applying to Irwin, but I feel better about my cheap
knock
offs from Harbor freight... I've noticed that with a few months use (ok,
and
abuse) that they don't grip as tight...
I don't know if I should be glad that the HF ones are typical or upset
that a
company like Irwin can't make a better clamp..

BTW: do you ever use them for spreading?
I thought that would be a cool feature when I ordered the clamps but have
never
had a project that required spreading...

Well, speak of the devil, Irwiin answered my email today, maybe they watch
the newsgroups and saw my compaint about the clamps and them not replying
me. Anyway, according to Irwin there is no way to adjust Quick Grips to
improve the clamping action. Here is their reply:

Mr. Stewart,

Unfortunately there is no way to adjust the gripping mechanism. Please
return any defectives to the place of purchase. I apologize for any
inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Ken Glardon

I do realize that standard screw type clamps are going to clamp more
tightly
but the idea of a one handed clamp still interests me to try another
brand.

So its off to Home Depot to get my money back. I'm going to try the
Jorgensen brand of quick clamps, they have them on Amazon and they are a
little cheaper than Irwin's Quick Grips at home Depot locally. They don't
have many reviews on Amazon for the Jorgensen brand but the few that have
reviewed them gave them 4 and 5 stars.

I will post again in a few weeks when I've had time to get a refund and
get
some Jorgensen brand shipped here. If these have similar problems I
suppose
it's time to give up on one handed clamps until somebody makes one right.

Later gators,

Paul

"Paul Stewart" wrote in message
Anyone know how or if Irwin Quick Grip clamps can be adjusted or
restored
fix them from slipping when pulling the handle/trigger to tighten the
clamp?

I've got quite a few and they are becoming very frustrating. I know they
have a life time warranty and I have already taken 3 or 4 back for
exchange,
but this is getting old fast, I'm about to pitch em in the trash.

I read an advertisement about Jorgensens similar clamp saying they have
40%
more gripping power and that they don't slip. Anyone have any experience
with the Jorgensen quick clamps?

Thanks,

Paul

mac