Posted to rec.woodworking
Amused

Default Finally...Good News from real Environmentalists.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Amused wrote:
Just wanted everyone to know, my post was meant for a political NG,
not a woodworking
NG. I wouldn't have posted such a provocative subject line in this NG.

James...

Why you sorry SOB, Plonk! Hee-hee!

Seriously, I love the way Chesnut looks and I kind of like the way it
smells too. My Grandfather had an old chest of drawers made of chesnut.
We cleaned it up, sanded and refinished in a shellac with a little
tint. Beautiful grain.

Now, see here, next time post something about Jimmy Carter!!

Tom in KY, PLONK!!!!

Many moons ago, I was working for an auction company, and one day, we had a
beautiful chest to sell. I didn't recognize the wood. No one recognized
the wood, until an antiques dealer got a good look at it. She notified us
that it was chestnut, and she damn sure wasn't going to tell us any more
until the bidding was over. She bought it.

It was a mid-19th Century blanket chest, or some such name.

James..
Alder wood, is a close second in looks, IMHO, but some of those chestnut
logs must have been HUGE.