Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default New spool of MIG wire -WOW!

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:20:59 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

My baby MIG has been cantankerous lately: wire sticking, funky arc.
Looking at it closely, I could see some rust on the wire. There wasn't
much left, so I bought a new roll. WOW, what a difference!! The poor
performance had crept up on me over a long time, so it wasn't noticeable
until it was really bad.

The old roll was Fourney, from local hardware store; the new one Anchor
brand from a welding store. But I suspect it was the rust, more than
the brand, that was the problem. I'm now thinking about some kind of
enclosure around the spool, with a dessicant in it. Anybody done it?

Bob

Ive a few rolls of wire...G and they all live in their very own
garbage bag, all neatly twist tied shut, with a bag of dessicant in
each. Even the stainless steel ones. I too had a rusting problem,
with the symptoms exactly like yours. At certain times of the year, we
have fog ..heavy fog, as well as a certain amount of H2S that drifts
in from the oil fields..can be a hells brew on un oiled stuff.

Btw...1 gallon zip lock bags from the dollar store work pretty good
for the small rolls, and you can see whats inside.

Gunner

BTW - the welding shop invoice:

cleaning pads ........ 6
---