Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Default Tried running some 6011 electrodes

Don Foreman wrote:
On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 01:39:52 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

snip

6013 and 7014 can also make strong welds in 1/8", though they run
differently. It's a matter of watching and controlling the puddle.

I might try some 7014 if I can persuade the welding store to order it!
Is it much different from 6013? I find the slag inclusions are the
problem with 6013. With a fillet 6013 doesn't seem to clear the slag
from the root of the weld, and this is where the fracture starts when I
bend a sample back and forth. Here's a picture of what happened to the
6013 sample:

http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/fillet_test10.jpg

Perhaps I need to get the arc shorter and the puddle smaller in order to
push the puddle right into the corner? I tried this with 6013 but
couldn't get the puddle smaller than about 1/4" across without using the
drag rod technique. The drag rod fillets using 6013 were stronger than
the parent metal, though. Am I right in thinking that 6013 produces a
softer deposit than 6011, whatever the technique?

I've wondered recently if I need another welder. At 50 V (AC) my welder
offers the following current settings: 65, 90, 115, 145, 165, 180 A. At
80 V (AC) it offers 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120 A. I've
been finding that the current control on the 50 V range is a bit coarse.
I didn't used to find this, but maybe I'm noticing it because I'm
getting better at welding.

That could very well be. I bet you'd like a 40 to 225 amp buzzbox
with continuous current control.

I've stayed away from buzzboxes in the past because my metalworking
activities are a bit sporadic. I'll do a lot at once, then get busy with
something else and my welder will sit idle for months in the damp shed!
I'd worry about an air cooled buzzbox suffering, but my oil cooled set
seems fine. Just switch it on and go, which I like. A reputable local
dealer has a large GEC oil cooled set available, which I've had my eye
on. I only have sketchy details at the moment - would want to check the
possible input and output voltages, and probably try it out - but it has
49 current settings (two controllers) giving an output from 21 to 425 A.
350 A continuous. A bit of a beast...might have to upgrade the power
supply for that one!

Best wishes,

Chris