Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default Shop tips (+ HF TIG on sale again)

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:41:09 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:23:36 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Brent Philion quickly quoth:

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:55:58 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

I managed to catch a piece of plywood on fire (Hmm, what's that
wood smell?) while testing it today but I joined the 1/8" steel
plate to a 1/16" steel plate alright. Time to hacksaw & TIG together
a rolling welding station for the little machine.

Lighting the ply on fire tells me you might want to make the cart Second
and a welding TABLE first?

Saaaay, not a bad idea, Brent. g I'll have to visit the scrap steel
yard early next year. Tuesday, Jan 2, sounds good.

Look for a piece of grid type catwalk. Makes a good welding table,
easy to clamp between the grids, and you can use a torch on it any
place without worry about tearing up the table. If you cut a grid..its
no big deal.

For the quick-'n-dirty test, I clamped the steel to a piece of
painted plywood and gave the tiggy half power. Perhaps I didn't
need that much for the weld. About 3/4" worth of bead lit 'er up!

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -

for torturing the cat." Gunner