Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Computing electric costs

"C & E" wrote in message
news
Would one of you electron benders please tell me how I go about computing
cost of operation of an appliance if I know that it operates on 220vac at
2,000 w and 'y' is the cost of electricity/ Kwh. Is there a time factor
tied to the 2,000 (- too many years)? I'm thinking of supplementing the
shop's LPG heat with electric thinking that it would be cheaper than just
using the gas alone. I only heat on an as-needed basis but the last fill
up nearly cost me a good internal organ!

Multiply the watts of power consumed (at any voltage, it does not matter)
time the kW rate your utility is charging.

2000 watts (2 kW) at .15 kW = 30¢ per hour