Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which way to point a TV antenna?

Since we are discussing tv, what is the correct way to point a
conventional TV antenna? I have been going on with this between
several people and no one agrees.

_+++\\\\\\_
+++//////

Ok, here's a picture (sort of) of the antenna. The small arrows on
the left are the UHF, the Large arrows are the VHF. If I want to
receive a station directly North, should the small arrows (UHF end) or
the large arrows (VHF end) point toward the north? Some people said
the arrow shape of the antenna should point toward the station, others
say it's supposed to be pointed away so the signal is caught inside
the arrow. Who is right?

By the way, I have tried ot both ways. My nearest station is 55 miles
away, so reception is not the greatest either way, but it seems that
as long as EITHER end is pointed toward the station, it works pretty
well. If neigher end points toward the station, I get nothing.
However, there must be a "correct" end to point toward the station.
(or maybe no one has ever agreed) ????

By the way, I found a website that said the smaller element should
point toward the station, but does that mean the smaller VHF element
or are they including the UHF elements which are smaller yet?
(Why dont they just have a picture instead of trying to explain it).

Mark