Carl Byrns

Default Sparkies question-theoretical voltage from homade generator

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:31:07 -0500, Wayne Cook
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 04:08:44 GMT, Carl Byrns
wrote:

Some older Briggs had external lighting coils (in 1, 5, and 7 amp
output).

Must be pretty old. I'm trying to remember ever seeing a external
charging coil. Seems like I saw one years ago as a kid but I can't
remember any of the details.

They were used mostly on riding mowers and snowthrowers and they were
rare.

Briggs also made a lighting kit for snowthrowers- it consisted of a
lamp, a dynamo that bolted on the starter housing, a sheet metal
'socket' that fit over the flywheel nut and drove the dynamo through a
short length of speedometer cable. It didn't work- the speedo cable
couldn't take the load and speed and would fail after about an hour.
I have one around here someplace.

-Carl