Posted to rec.woodworking
Ace

Default My first woodworking tools

I'm not really a woodworker, but certainly enjoy making/using some simple
projects.

My suggestion is: Get some relatively cheap lumber (pine, 1x4x60 inches
long?) and use the tools you received to
make something simple. (Plain square box?) Find out what the tools can do,
etc. Observe the finish and accuracy of the various cuts you make.

For example, you can cut to length using the sabre saw, but you'll probably
find it a bit 'rough'. The circular saw will give a lot nicer cut. But, is
it square? No? Does the belt sander work to square it up?

Good luck!

"Xopher" wrote in message
Hi,
For many months I have been reading about woodworking and my family asked
me to make a list of some tools that were in the books I read. Well they
were not kidding and from them this week I received a belt sander, a
plunge/fixed base router, a cordless drill, a corded drill, a circular
saw, and a sabre scrolling saw. My grandfather taught me how to use his
forge and be a farrier. Many of the tools I use belonged to my great
grandfather. I also work in Grandpa's salvage yard, so metals I know but
nothing about woodworking. Which means I need some input on making my
first wood projects. I like the Reader's Digest beginning wood books, and
I like a few of the Black and Decker portable power tools books. Does
anyone here have sources (maybe a book) that he or she can recommend for
me, a guy who has never even turned on a circular saw (I did power mine
up) but now that I have one I really want to make some things?
Thank You,
Xopher