Posted to rec.woodworking
Amused

Default Finally...Good News from real Environmentalists.

In 19th Century America, oak was considered a scrub wood. Chestnut along
with mahogany) were the woods of choice for craftsmen. (Don't fuss at me.
I know other woods were used.)

A fungus blight killed 99.9 percent of the chestnut trees in America.

Now, there is real progress in programs to introduce Chestnuts back into the
American forests. It'll take twenty years to get just the right mixture,
and another forty years to see results, but it still makes me feel warm and
fuzzy knowing that someday, one of the most beautiful woods in the world
will be available to craftsmen and woodworkers.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._chestnut.html