Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default Solid-State Relay instead of a contactor?

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

I am building a new compressor from a salvaged C-H tank and other parts, the
99.99 5 hp pump from HF, and a new 5 hp, 1 ph motor. The new motor is too
much of a load for the pressure switch. I can get a contactor from Ebay,
but I can also get some 25-amp solid-state relays a lot cheaper. Anyone
have any thoughts on this option? The motor has built-in overload
protection, so that's not a strong consideration.

I have an SSR on my 2 Hp compressor. I had the first one blow (shorted)
so I used a much higher rating and have had no further problems. The motor
has an 11 A @ 240 V rating, and I'm using a 600 V 50 A SSR.

Jon