Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Update on Cincinatti 12x36 Tray-Lathe

"Andrew H. Wakefield" wrote in message
snip-------
Any further words of wisdom before I go to look at the lathe will be most
appreciated!

Andy

" He said that the only thing that was not quite
right on the lathe is that the carriage crank bushing is worn and the crank
is consequently "floppy" -- but it still works."

That, to me, would be a sign of a machine that has been ridden hard and put
away wet. Check the ways for wear, and the cross slide as well. Look
for any gouges, where chips may have ruined the surfaces, and inconsistent
form of the ways. Keep in mind that if the ways are not good, the
machine, at best, won't be very reliable for anything but rough work.

Harold