Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Dave Plowman (News)

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

In article . 170,
Adrian wrote:
Though it is an oddity of the regs that, rather than having blanket
regulations for particular classes of vehicle, that it distinguished
between different fuel types.

It's an oddity in that it says "This is what you do to the exhaust"
rather than "This is what you should be shoving out the exhaust" -
legislating the means not the target.

You've not been paying attention. There are no regs requiring a cat. on a
petrol engine - merely that what comes out of the exhaust passes the spec
for emissions. Which in practice means a cat. - although some engines come
very close without one.

A hint of lobbying from the precious metal miners, p'raps?

Oh, and LB can't meet the NOx regulations specified for petrol engines.

It can't... at the state of development it was left in when compulsory
cats killed it.

It was widely publicised that they could never meet the NOX emissions regs.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.