Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Default My first woodworking tools

Xopher wrote:
Hi,
For many months I have been reading about woodworking and my family asked me
to make a list of some tools that were in the books I read. Well they were
not kidding and from them this week I received a belt sander, a plunge/fixed
base router, a cordless drill, a corded drill, a circular saw, and a sabre
scrolling saw. My grandfather taught me how to use his forge and be a
farrier. Many of the tools I use belonged to my great grandfather. I also
work in Grandpa's salvage yard, so metals I know but nothing about
woodworking. Which means I need some input on making my first wood
projects. I like the Reader's Digest beginning wood books, and I like a few
of the Black and Decker portable power tools books. Does anyone here have
sources (maybe a book) that he or she can recommend for me, a guy who has
never even turned on a circular saw (I did power mine up) but now that I
have one I really want to make some things?
Thank You,
Xopher

For those kinds of tools -- get the Black and Decker book(s) and some
weekend style yard project books from the Home De(s)pot store or
whatever is close. Lawn furniture, storage benches rough country style
furniture should be no problem -- once you have a stable work surface.
Build yourself a nice stable workbench from 2X4 lumber and put on a
3/4" MDF wood top and you can be in business to make some decent stuff.
($100 or maybe less)

Also check out the Lee Valley selection of books...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...&cat=1&p=46096

I tried making decent projects with those tools -- found it a little
tough. A table saw was necessary for me before I could do "fine" work.
ymmmv

Welcome and have fun.
---
willr