Posted to sci.engr.lighting,uk.d-i-y
Clive Mitchell

Default halogen vs energy-saving light bulb.... woes :S

In message , Blueyonder
writes
http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/candle2.jpg

Nice! Do you have a schematic for that?

Take a look on my website at the fibre optic hack. It contains roughly
the same circuit but with smoothing and all the hassle that entails.
The discharge resistor is in a different position in the schematic on my
site and all the components on the DC side of the rectifier are not
needed except for the LEDs.

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/fibre.htm

With a modest number of LEDs the 100/120Hz flicker is not noticeable
anyway.

If you take a look at the original picture I linked to and follow it
through with me, then this should make sense...

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/candle2.jpg

The 1M resistor is soldered across the capacitor. It isn't really
needed, but without it you can get a nip from residual charge when the
lamp is unplugged.

The 240 ohm resistor and capacitor are in series between the mains Live
(Hot) and one of the AC pins on the rectifier. The other AC pin on the
rectifier is connected straight to Neutral (return).

The LEDs are all connected in series between the +ve and -ve terminals
of the rectifier. And that's it!

For 110V use I guess you might need a 470nF 200V capacitor, but I've
only seen the insides of the 240V lamps. (Someone in America might
perhaps open one and tell us?)

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com