Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Expensive Electricity Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this request for help, if
it isn't i'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

I live in a 4 bed bungalow built in the 70's.

The electricity bill seems extremeley high, about £400 per 1/4.

I have had npower check the meter, they say it is fine, this was 4 or 5
moths ago.

Since then weve been careful to make sure that we turn off all
unneccesary items when possible, but it seems that this has helped very
little.

I am running the following items :-

48 inch TV, LCD type, gets used maybe 4 hours per day, on standby @
other times.
Sky Box.
Small TV in the kitchen, gets used similar to big TV.
One PC (security system), left running all day, three cctv (just the
micromark type) cams running 24/7. PC has 3 monitors, but these are
turned off when not in use, guess max 4 hours per day usage.
Laptop also running all day.
One newish fridge freezer, couple of chest freezers in the garage.
Couple of printers in standby mode all day.
Heating is by a combi boiler, heating is on maybe 12 hours per day at
this time of year.

Kettle boiled max of 5 times a day (just with small amount of water in)
There is 6 outside 500 watt lights, PIR activated, of these 4 are
trigerred maybe 6 times each per day (a guesstimate), theyre timed to
operate for just a couple of mins each.
Three night storage heaters. Economy 7 is fitted.

Now that ive written down everything, there does seem quite a bit. Ive
taken readings every morning this week, and overnight were using 34
units (its a modern meter, blue button gives you night reading and day
one). Through the day were using 25 units, both seem excessive to me.

Do others think that the readings are high or normal for this type of
usage ?.

Get rid of the storage heaters and extend the rads. I assume you run the
storage heaters because rads are not in those rooms. Increase insulation in
the loft, make the house more draught proof. Use the hot on the combi to
fill the kettles. The hot water is drinkable if off the mains. Get LDC
monitors, use low energy light bulbs. Don't have equipment on when you don't
use it.

Get a cheaper supplier.