Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default Drilling vs reaming

Jon,

The reamer follows the centroid of the hole, which has no guarantee of
being
anywhere near where you wanted the hole. So, better drilling techniques
will also give you a better final hole size. For almost any job where I
want
a hole to line up with something, I use a milling machine, clamp the
work in
a vise or to the table, and start the hole with a center drill first.
Once the
center drill has made a pretty good starting hole, the twist drill will
follow
with a lot less of this shuddering, and the final hole will be both more
round
and closer to where I started it. I usually get hole locations within a
few
thousandth of an inch of intended position this way. Using a center punch
and then drilling directly with a jobber's length drill, the hole
position can
drift 25 thousandths of an inch, or even more.

How much of a hole do you drill with the center? I've been following
Harold's recommendation to touch the work to make a mark and check the
location before doing further damageg - two fewer pieces of scrap and
counting. If where I intended, I enlarge the mark, but my gut sense
reading the above is that I should be doing more??

Bill