Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Is it reasonable to demand a contractor's estimate in writing?

Yank_fan_2965 wrote:
Quick question. I am going to remodel my attic. I have yet to install
the knee walls and the framing necessary prior to the installation of
the electrical components. I want to get a firm quote on the electrical
before I proceed with the framing. I got an estimate from an
electirician to do all of the electrical, bring addn'l lines up from
the basement etc. Several days after he visited my home he gave me a
verbal estimate of the total cost over the phone. No real details were
included. I then asked him to provide me with a written estimate. He
declined. He said he wanted to wait until he was ready to start the
job. I feel that he should be able to provide a written estimate of the
costs now. Am I being unreasonable?

Possibly.
Some things that may have influenced the electrician's refusal to
provide a written estimate:
- Your work wasn't completed when the electrician visited. Things
might have changed from when he visited and he's wary of giving an
estimate in writing without seeing the completed work.
- He might have gotten a vibe that you were price shopping and was
concerned that you would hand that written estimate to another
electrician. He does the estimating and another guy gets paid. Are
you price shopping? Did you contact other electricians? I'm not
saying you shouldn't get a couple or three bids, but I'm sure you can
understand the reluctance if that's the case.
- Your job sounds fairly small, and a lot of contractors loathe
paperwork. It's not the reason they're in the business. It's also a
business where established relationships have the benefit of history
and trust - paperwork is frequently kept at a minimum. You being a new
guy to him, and a potential pain in the ass, is a risk for him. You
too, but he's not looking at it from your side of the fence.

If your intention is to lock in a firm price, write up the contract so
the guy will know you're not shopping around and he won't have to worry
about that. You'll need to finish up your work, or guarantee certain
conditions, before any sensible contractor will sign a contract with a
guaranteed price.

As an aside to the other poster's who are batting the judge/court
outcomes back and forth: Do your states have mechanic's liens? In
this neck of the woods, filing a mechanic's lien puts an encumbrance on
the property. If the owner goes to refinance, take out equity, gets a
credit check, etc., it will show up as a ding. Frequently the owner
will be the one in a hurry to get the thing resolved as the amount in
question may be much smaller than the amount in jeopardy due to the
lien.