Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

Default Dishwasher connection

"Default User" wrote in message
. 17.102...
I have a slight problem with the water hookup for my dishwasher. I'll
go over the whole thing. As I say in the programming newsgroups,
describe the entire problem, not just the proposed solution.

The supply pipe comes out of the side of the cabinet and takes a 90
degree bend, so that it's pointing forward (towards the door of the
dishwasher). This pipe is fairly long, and has the standard 3/8 OD
compression connection. When I installed the new dishwasher last year,
I replaced the existing plastic line with steel-mesh "burst-proof".

Due the length of the supply pipe and the radius bend of the steel
line, it seems that it made contact with the frame of the dishwasher
when all the way in. Over the course of the year, the normal vibrations
abraded the line to point of wearing a hole in it. Not good, luckily I
was there when the leak started.

I think this can be solved by coming off the supply pipe at 90 degrees,
so that the dishwasher line connects perpendicular to the pipe instead
of coming straight off it and bending back around.

That brings me to part two of the problem. The water shutoff valve for
the dishwasher isn't closing all the way, it slows it to trickle.
Ideally that should be fixed, but I've never done it and that doesn't
seem like a good one to start with. It's in the undersink cabinet
behind the disposal and among the drain pipes. Limited room to work is
an understatement. A plumber could be hired, of course.

A possible solution to both would be an angle stop valve that connected
to the supply pipe. The problem there is that I haven't found one. Most
of the angle stops are designed to connect to iron pipes and such. The
only stop valve I could find designed to connect directly to a 3/8
compression connection was a straight one. There are ones that accept
compression connections, but none I could find that had a compression
connector "captive nut".

If I scrap the valve idea, I was unable to find anything like an elbow
for this application. They do make tee connectors, "add-a-line" type,
that hook directly to the supply line. I could cap the straight-out
branch and use the angled one.

Any thoughts on what I've described, other avenues to consider, or
details on things I've overlooked or plain don't know about would be
appreciated. If you suggest some other fittings, a web link or enough
detail for me to be able to google it would be helpful.

Brian

Get rid of the flex tube and the compression fittings. Just solder the
proper pipe and fittings from a new shut-off valve.

Install it correctly and to code. Don't jack-leg it.