Ed Sirett

Default Unvented Hot Water Cylinders

Steve Benjamin wrote:
=

I'm looking to buy a new unvented cylinder for my new house. I had a
Megaflo in my last place and I was happy with it. Looking arounf the
merchants, I see quite a difference in price between Megaflos and
equivalent sized Aristons (=A3100). Another advantage is that the
Ariston has a smaller diameter making fitting a little easier.
Can anyone tell me if there are any significant advantages to the
Megaflo over the Ariston?
=

Two things to be aware of =

1) The incoming main must be 25mm (c. 3/4" ID) all but very new houses
have 1/2" lead, 20mm plastic.

2) Is the Ariston really a stainless steel mains pressure _unvented_
cylinder? I would expect that
a Megaflow which is say 750 would be 650 if its name is Albion or
Telford I would have difficulty beleiving that anything under =A3400 was
the real thing. =

Also note that the other makes use a added on expansion vessel (=A325)
whcih I think is included in the box. =

IMHO this is to be PREFERRED over the Megaflow where the air bubble
dissappears over time leading to over pressure dribbles and a reduction
in the life of the first pressure releif unit. =

-- =

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk