Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Default Squeaky floor

How about using construction adhesive at the top 2 edges of each joist. It
is recommended for roofs to help hurricane proof the roof. I wonder if it
would help on squeaks.

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

"The Wanderer" wrote in message
. net...
This is my real problem. It already has nice floorcovering already
installed. In my house that I have carpet in, whenever I hear a squeek I
just drive a nail and it goes away. Might not be the correct way of
handling it but it works.

The thing with my daughters house is we're not going to drive a nail
through the linoleum.

I'm thinking that since the house is only 5 years old that the
subflooring in the kitchen will be at least 3/4". I think I might just
go underneath and drive a 1" nail un into the subfloor through the floor
joist at an angle?

That's a desparate fix, but it might work.

Personally, I'd pick an inconspicuous corner and drill a small hole in the
floor and gauge the thickness of the flooring and subflooring at that
point.

Then, I'd locate all the squeaks, figure out where they are, and locate
them in the crawlspace.

After that, I'd make a reference marks on the joists (say 2" below the
floor) and drill angled holes through the joists and into the floor and
subfloor beginning at that reference point. If your reference mark is 2"
below the floor and the floor and subfloor add up to 1.5"
(hypothetically), I'd use 3.5" screws to hold everything together. With
any angle at all, they won't penetrate into the linoleum.

A tedious job, but doable...