Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Can you run a generator in a basement with the windows open?

On 29 Dec 2005 15:11:48 -0800, "dean" wrote:

I only want to use it for a few minutes to run the well pump. I want to
keep it in the basement. I'm assuming that if I open the windows and
start it (assuming its a new generator), I will not be in any major
danger. My basement is 70' x 30' x 10' tall (i.e. huge) and has 4
windows, 2 at each end.

Alternatively I have to trudge outside with it through deep snow
(usually we get blackouts after such a thing), plonk it down and run
the cable through the window, which I do not want to do.

I don't know what's come over the group today. Usually they warn
people like you about imminent death. So I'm going to bring it up
and wait for someone else to say what differentiates this case from
all the others where death was abig risk.

No one even said to get a CO detector.

But I still have doubt about the fan to do anything substantial, and
the gases in the basement will probably rise to upper areas of the
house.

I had an old outboard motor I was repairing and testing. I Put a
sawhorse in the bathtub and mouted the engine to that . I starte a 21
inch fan blowing out from teh bathroorm and another pretty big fan
blowing in the same direction in the bathroom door. I started the
engine and within 5 seconds the room was filled with smoke. and the
fans were I think continuing to fall behind in blowing out the air.
My 5 or 10 second test was enough that I took it out on Jamaica Bay.

Now it made a lot of smoke because iirc it was a two-cycle engine, and
it was old, but that has nothing to do with the inability of the fans
to remove the exahaust gases.\

TIA!

Dean

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let