Posted to alt.home.repair
The Wanderer

Default Squeaky floor

This is my real problem. It already has nice floorcovering already
installed. In my house that I have carpet in, whenever I hear a squeek
I just drive a nail and it goes away. Might not be the correct way of
handling it but it works.

The thing with my daughters house is we're not going to drive a nail
through the linoleum.

I'm thinking that since the house is only 5 years old that the
subflooring in the kitchen will be at least 3/4". I think I might just
go underneath and drive a 1" nail un into the subfloor through the floor
joist at an angle?

Kyle Boatright wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Say some more about the age of the house, the span length of the floor
joists the cross section of the joists, and the material of the
subfloor. This would not be the first house with joists not sized for
the spans; or not sized for the loads; or structural panels that are
too closely fitted; or older construction that has been damaged by
moisture or insects in the crawl space.
TB

Usually, a squeaky floor is caused by a loose nail (or maybe several)
holding the flooring and subflooring to the joists.

The solution is to identify the squeaky areas and drive a screw through the
floor, subfloor, and into the joist.

The problem is that if you have floorcovering already installed, you can't
just go around driving screws through it or you'll ruin it.