Posted to alt.home.repair
Default User

Default Dishwasher connection

"Colbyt" wrote in
news:JC_sf.665910$_o.352880@attbi_s71:

You might be able to find what you need at Lowes or HD. A real
plumbing store will have what you need.

I'm not sure if you dropped a "not" out of the first sentence above.
I've been over what's available at the Lowes/HD.

I could not visualize the exact layout but I think what you want
to do is elbow off the dishwasher connection point.

That's basically correct.

An angle stop
may not be what you want. Compression fittings are sold in all
the standard configurations, straight, 90 degree elbows.

I wasn't successful in finding an elbow that with a captive compression
nut, just the tee connector I mentioned before. That will, I'm sure, do
the job. However my desire was to add a valve there so that I didn't
have to worry about the other shutoff valve.

You
could even buy two of those dishwasher hoses and connect them
together using a coupler which would double the length and allow
you to route your hose anywhere you like.

It's not the length of the dishwasher line that's the problem. It's how
close the end of the main supply is to the frame of the dishwasher.
Because that pipe points directly towards the "guts" of the machine,
the line adds several inches as it curves. It ends up making contact
with the frame somewhere. By coming off at an 90, there's not as much
need for clearance.

At the end of the message, I've place some ASCII art that may help
explain. Non-proportional font required.

I don't recommend trying to replace the cutoff or even repair the
washer. If it was a quarter-turn ball valve it would not be
failing. Since it is, it is most likely a cheap POS that may well
break if you mess with it. Turn the water off at the main
entrance, usually located near the water heater.

I tend to agree, I'd like to have one of those better valves. The easy
point to install for me is right at the end of the supply pipe, which
takes a 3/8 OD compression connector.

Brian

Diagram follows!!

| = walls