Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tools.repair+advice,rec.woodworking
KMoiarty

Default Which has the better cordless 18v. drill: Bosch or Hitachi

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

I have got a couple of drills, both Ni-cad and I intend to rebuild the
battery pack. Easily done, just buy the rightnumber of batteries and
wire them in series in teh pack. I presume you can do the same with
the lithium batteries etc.

You may be able to do that, but I don't think it's a viable option for
most of us. First problem is getting into the plastic battery case.
Mine seems to be fused together with no way to get in without
destroying it.

This seems similar to a challenge I had to get inside and repair a sealed
fan speed-control switch for my car (for which used parts are now rare and
new ones are unreasonably expensive, plus take ages to arrive after placing
in an order). In this case I carefully cut the plastic casing open with a
blade-shaped hot soldering iron tip. Then after fixing the insides, I
resealed the case by again using soldering iron (with a different tip) to
meld edges back together again. Didn't look very neat, but it's concealed
from view and it did the trick.

Next problem is where to get replacement batteries of
the correct dimensions and voltages.

Look for an electronic technician's supply outlet. There's at least one in
the town where I live which carries a whole assortment of such rechargeable
batteries and can order in anything you don't see on the shelf.

Not saying it can't be done, I'm just not sure it's worth the trouble.

You're right. Unless you have the time to tinker and you just happen to
derive enjoyment from such challenges, it is probably is not worth your
trouble; especially if you rely on the tool for professional work and
therefore can't tolerate the occasional unexpected 'surprise'. For example,
discovering while busy on the job that your battery-case re-sealing work
could have been reinforced or strengthened better to prevent the seam from
splitting open after an accidental, but routinely common, fall to the
floor... On the other hand, if you intend to replace batteries this way
into the future, once you get the knack of it, or with refinement of
technique along with greater efficiency and practicality gained from further
practice and experience, one may decide it to be worth one's while in the
long run, I don't know.

Ken