Posted to rec.woodworking
PCProffitt

Default Leaning Towards the JWBS-16 Bandsaw

I have the Jet JWBS-16. Had it now for over a year and I like it fine.
The too small trunnions are an concern, but not a practical problem.
I've used it to saw 8" and 10" logs for turning as well as for resawing
8" wide 4/4 curly maple. I bought a PS Wood 3/4" blade for resawing. I
like the cut, but the speed doesn't amaze me.

I've upgraded mine to full roller bearing guides. Hard to say it was
worth the price, but nice to have. The optional fence has been really
handy as well although the long arms stick back a ways and sort of get
in the way when changing blades.

All in all I'm happy with it and won't have a need to look for anything
else for a while.

If I could make it better, besides larger trunnions, I would devise a
way to get the dust that collects under the table around the lower
guides into the dust collector. While not much dust gets past the dust
port inside the lower cabinet there is a lot that collects just under
the table that needs to be cleaned up regularly. I think I would put a
bit stiffer brush inside as well - maybe even one on each side of the blade.

Paul Proffitt

stoutman wrote:
I have been thinking about buying a bandsaw to add to my tool collection

I have narrowed my decision to either:
The Jet 16" 'er (JWBS-16) or the Grizzly (G0513) 17" 'er. Both are at the
ceiling for my budget.

Got any input?

Thanks