Posted to rec.woodworking
David Bridgeman

Default Wood Expansion Characteristics

Greg G. wrote:
I have looked on the web for this information and after 150 or so
sites, most only "mentioning" the seasonal expansion of wood floors, I
am hoping someone here has a favorite link they would share.

I am looking for a reference that details the expansion and
contraction characteristics of various woods in changing humidity
levels. Something along the lines of: "A change from 7% to 15% RH
results in 3.2% expansion cross-grain".

I have found numerous little charts and graphs depicting the hardness
and density of woods, but nothing that deals with their moisture
expansion characteristics.

Thanks,

Greg G.

Greg,

Individual chapters of the The Wood Handbook are at:
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp.../fplgtr113.htm

Dave