Ned Simmons

Default Turning disc of phenolic

In article , dnichols@d-
and-d.com says...
In article ,
Ned Simmons wrote:
In article , dnichols@d-
and-d.com says...
In article ,
Ned Simmons wrote:

What would be nice would be a reamer to produce the precise
taper in the wheel, so all you would need would be to set the compound
to match each time. Or, with a more gentle taper, you could leave it
set up on a taper attachment. I would suggest using a Morse taper as
the standard, so you could use relatively inexpensive reamers. Probably
a MT-1 (big end) or MT-2 (small end). Any larger would be too big, I
think.

I'd be concerned that a Morse taper would be too difficult
to release without anything to work against. I think you'd
want the taper to be just barely self locking.

You could have both the taper and thread in the socket,
eliminating the need for the nut, and also supplying the
means to push off the taper, but then it seems the thread
may be more likely to influence the runout.

It also might be hard to start to unscrew, since you've got the
taper fighting you.

Yes, you'd want to be careful about socking it down too
tight.

Bear in mind that the rim of the wheel is bowing strings, which
are vibrating tangent to the rim of the wheel, and the friction is
tailored with a coating of rosin (same as for a fiddle bow), so this is
acting a bit like a tiny impact wrench -- lots of repeated pressure
spikes which would probably tighten the wheel up during playing, and
thus make things difficult to start free afterwards.

Yeah, I was wondering about that when I replied before, but
have a hard time imagining it would get awfully tight, but
then my experience with hurdy-gurdys is limited to watching
"Captains Courageous". g

No, I did it to save time and avoid ambiguity in my
description. Slow typist, middling to fast CAD modeler
here. It probably took less than 5 minutes to model the
part, paste the screen capture into an image editor, crop
it, and upload it.

O.K. What software are you using? (I'll bet that it is one of
the Windows-based ones, so I can't run it. :-) And how long did it take
you to get that fast?

You'd win that bet, it's Autodesk Inventor, and Autodesk is
pretty much in bed with Microsoft. There were a lot of
unhappy folks when they dropped support for Apple several
years ago, and despite a lot of pressure to port to Linux,
I don't see it happening any time soon.

Someone here was trying out Alibre and seemed to be happy
with it. IIRC it was around $500 vs. around $4000 for
Inventor, Solidworks, Solid Edge, and the like.

Ned Simmons