Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

Default Car Buying

This is the time of year for deep discounts on cars. New models coming
out and all.
A few years ago I walked into a Nissan shop just kicking tires and I was
bored so I decided to mess with these obviously tired salesmen.
So the story goes like this. I said I would make a small down payment on
a Sentra.
They had some incentive so it seemed Ok
I told them I would have a flatbed truck load the car and drop it off at
my house where I would park it in a dry garage under a cover and up on
stands so no flat spots on the tires. I would start it monthly just to
keep it going and in 9 months I would have the flatbed bring it back
with zero miles but a model year older.
Why would I do such a thing? To findout what it was really worth. I
tried to explain that it was still a new car just not stored on their
lot.
They had no answer. We all know that a 99 model year car might be made
in early 98 or mid 99.
I guess the answer is that cars are worth about half of what you pay for
them in cash. There is simply no reason to pay 400bux a mont for a chunk
of metal that sits probly 20 hours out of 24 and only goes down in value
for every mile racked up.
I used to work for a guy that probably spent more on car washes for his
Explorer and lexus than I did for my little honda civic.
Rant mode off.