Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default anyone used diamond tipped blades in circular saw for cutting of soft aluminum extrusions ?

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:51:58 GMT, Anthony
wrote:

"DanG" wrote in news:kFQsf.20949$9G.17556
@dukeread10:

I have never used diamond, and I would be amazed if it would work.
Regular wood cutting carbide is more than adequate. Works well in
table saw, miter saw, router, hand held, etc. Lots of chips,
chips are hot, chips fly further than wood chips. Aluminum can
gum up a good blade, perhaps another poster can explain why. I
use a wax stick to reduce the tendency, but would always
appreciate more ideas.

Get a blade made for non-ferrous metal. It has a different grind than a
normal wood carbide blade.

When I was putting up the shop the time came for the big roll up door
to be installed. The company who I bought the building from had
negleted to ship the door frame and I needed to make one in a hurry.
The local welder had time to weld, but not fab, the frame. This was
for a 12' by 12' door. He said to buy a carbide blade for my circular
saw and have at it. He was right. The aluminum channel for the frame
was easy to cut this way. Noisy as all getout, lots of hot chips down
the neck, but plenty fast and accurate.
ERS