Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default How to prevent MT2 arbor from sticking in lathe tailstock?

According to Gunner Asch :
On 29 Dec 2005 02:31:37 -0800, "Bugs" wrote:

Same thing on my Atlas and most other lathes. Keep the taper clean and
oiled and remove it when it's not being used. The self ejection feature
is very common on better made lathes.
Bugs

The one cavat on this is...if your tool has a tang at the ass end. If
it has no tang, for example a live center..it can be quite problematic
even with high end machines.

I had a similar problem with my Clausing and an interchangeable
point live center (all the others are long enough). My long-term
solution was to make a brass threaded plug to screw into the back of the
shank (which was already threaded) to make it just long enough for the
ejection to work properly.

For the short term, the solution was simple. The tailstock ram
in the lathe (a Clausing 5418) has a slot milled into it from one side
to the other for a drill drift. While I could not use the drill drift
(the center's shank was even too short for that), I could reach in with
a bronze rod and transfer a hammer tap to the end of the shank.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564