Ed Sirett

Default power flushing

chris wrote:

a message for Andy!

I am fed up with people who think they know all about everything.

I refer in particular to your references rubbishing power-flushing in
google groups.

Have you got a power flushing machine?

If so, do you know how to use it?

Telling people that genuine heating engineers like me are ripping
people off really annoys me.

You advocate to this girl flushing with cold water! Egh? It doesn't
take a scientist to work out that an acid will do a better job than
water does it. Are you advocating that she flushes with water in both
directions, as is possible with a power flush.

In short, I power flush for a living. I have solved hundreds?literally
hundreds of circulation issues in heating systems using my power
flushing kit. Yes it costs money, as any service does, and I will
allow for the fact that the world is full of idiots who cant be
bothered or don't know how the job is done properly, don't add your
name the list.

Get yourself a power flush machine and stop misinforming people.

As a professional (i.e. someone who is paid for doing the job) I would
take issue with a number of these statements.

In particular whilst flushing is important (indeed the manufacturers
tell you so), there are two problems with its widespread use.

1) Use when it is not necessary because it is not the cause of the
heating system failure(s). In particular there are many companies (yours
and mine excepted - of course) that advocate this either as a cure-all
or as a remedy of last resort (having failed to diagnose the real
fault).

2) Using it to treat the symptoms rather than the cause of the problems
(for instance chronic over-pumping).

As you know limescale is rarely a problem for primary circuits and thus
acid is rarely needed if on circuits. It is needed to on secondary
pipework especially combis.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk