Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default Dumpster ripoff?

wrote:
The roofing contractor hired a service to bring a dumpster to put the
old roof in (mostly the tiles). The dumpster people initially charged
about $350. The roofing company was supposed to pay it, but when the
guy asked for a check, we mistakenly payed it to him. The roofing
company was supposed to pay him, not us. Then the roofing company
reimbursed us the money for the dumpster. Then later on, when the
dumpster company guy came to pick up the dumpster, he said it was 4
tons overweight (4 tons beyond the limit) and wanted us to pay $145
extra. I told him that didn't sound right to me and anyway the roofing
company is responsible for paying. They left the dumpster that day, but
today they came again and took the dumpster away. I don't think they'll
be bothering us anymore. They never gave us a receipt for the money or
told us in advance about extra charges for extra weight.

Do you think they were trying to rip us off?
I don't see how our old roofing materials could be 8,000 pounds
overweight.
That sounds way too high. It's just a 3 bedroom house.
It seems to me that the total weight of the materials should be less
than 4 tons.
It's also not clear why they should charge $145 more even if it really
was 8,000 pounds overweight. We called the roofer and they said it was
bull**** too.
It seems like a scam. Why should we pay $500 just for them to bring a
dumpster and take it away? The $350 charge even seemed rather steep.

Don't know where you live but here the charge is
typically by the size and the time you keep the
dumpster. And $350, is a lot. They 4-5 foot high
by 20 foot by 8 foot dumpster would typically cost
about $125 for a month.

I think it was a ripoff or collusion between the
roofer and the dumpster people. Shingle are heavy
but if the house is about 2000 square feet, you
couldn't possibly be 4 tons extra, I doubt you
could be 4 tons total.