Posted to alt.home.repair
w_tom

Default Ground Rod For House ?

That earthing electrode has been required since 1990s.
Water pipe is no longer acceptable as an earth ground (not to
be confused with other grounds such as the safety ground that
centers inside mains break box). That dedicated earth ground
adjacent to breaker box is a solution to numerous technical
problems. That earth ground rod being minimal grounding.
Some require more than just a single rod. All other incoming
utilities (telephone, cable, satellite dish) must make a less
than 20 foot connection to the same earthing - per code. In
reality, you want each connection to be less than 10.

Robert11 wrote:
Was just wondering about this a bit.
Live in the Boston area, in a typical Colonial built about 30 yrs ago.

Have the "standard" 220 V line coming into the house from the street
line Appears to be 3 conductors, the 2 phases and the neutral.

My question is that I keep reading about houses needing, and the NEC
requiring, a ground (or grounding) rod right outside
the house.

Don't seem to have one.

Is an actual ground rod required ?
Where would it be ?