Kenneth W. Sterling

Default Sparkies question-theoretical voltage from homade generator

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 07:48:52 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

Lets say a fellow winds a coil and puts it under the flywheel of a
magneto ignition motor. How does one determine the number of windings
to get a desired voltage? Also, if no load is put across the windings,
how much drag will it produce? Just looking for a way to power
lighting on a small boat that doesn't require lugging a big battery
around. I saw at the auto parts store that you can now buy LED lights
for your trailer.Probably can get boat ones too. I don't know, but I
think they are supposed to use less current.
Thanks,
Eric

Question I have would be if the boat has a motor/ what kind, and size?
You obviously have access to the flywheel (by removing a cover or
whatever) .
Would it be possible to run an automotive alternator via a rubber
drive wheel or something similar? (you couldn't use a belt as the
ignition coil for the motor is probably mounted externally to the
flywheel OD and it would be in the way).
How many lights would you need? Would a bicycle generator (a better
quality one) work if driven from the motor?
Ken.