Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

Default Connecting to battery terminals? (without ruining)

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:57:37 GMT, "Joe Magiera"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

So my wife gets my kids a battery operated device for Christmas. It's some
kind of slurpee making machine and a real battery eater. Goes through 4 C
cell batteries in about 4 cans of pop. I'm thinking, hey, I can hack a
120VAC/6VDC converter that I have lying around up to it and just have it run
right from a wall outlet. Except I'd rather not hack and ruin the battery
connection terminals in the device. Does anyone have any ideas or know of
any parts that I can make a nice solid non-permanent connection to standard
battery connection terminals (and not ruin the battery connection terminals
in the process)? I'd really rather not make a solder connection on this
one, I'd like it to be able to run on batteries again in the future without
having to give it a major overhaul to convert it back. Any help/advice
appreciated. Thanks,

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)

Use a switched panel mount DC power socket. Wire it so that the device
runs off its internal batteries until a plug is inserted, at which
time a switched contact opens the battery circuit and switches across
to the external adapter.

- Franc Zabkar