Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default 60 inch RCA rear projection blank picture

wrote:
If I am not stuck with a bill of $500 or more, I would rather get this
fixed. It would be a real chore just to remove this thing. It must
weigh 350 lbs at least. And I really like the TV. I don't see
anything equivalent in size and picture quality until you get to about
$2,500 or more. I would like to NOT have that type of bill right now.

Just have it looked at, if the picture was good before I'd be shocked if
the repair came in at over $500. You have to factor in moving and
disposal costs when considering the price of the repair, not to mention
the environmental benefit of keeping it out of the landfill for a few
more years. Even if you decide to replace it in a year, the value will
likely be high enough on the working set to offset a good portion of
what you spent repairing it, while in it's current condition the value
is zero to negative.

Just want to pass another thing by you-all. It would appear to me that
we are in a state of great change in television technology what with
CRT, LCD, DLP, Plasma and the various ways they project them. Not to
mention the aspect ratios (which don't seem to be standardizing from
what I can see), and the switch from the old FCC frequencies for
transmitting to the new ways of getting the information into your home
(satellite, cable and what not). Then there are the various levels of
HDTV... You see where I am going.

What I am getting at here is that I thought that now is not a great
time to settle on a new TV. I thought that a couple of more years
might provide a better focas on what would be the best way of going
before I switch to a new TV. The prices are starting to come down now
also. I also know that technology is always changing, so the question
really is, are we in the greatest time of change and I should let the
dust settle some, or will this be business as usual and I should
consider a change now?

Personally I see a lot of turmoil in the market, it's hard to say
whether things will settle down, or whether they'll keep coming out with
something new and improved which can keep you waiting forever to upgrade
as has been the case with computers. My perspective is a little
different than the average consumer though because when it comes to TVs
and most other appliances I just wait until one breaks and is given to
me, then fix it and use it until something better comes along the same way.