Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Irwin Quick Grip clamps slipping

Paul Stewart wrote:
Anyone know how or if Irwin Quick Grip clamps can be adjusted or restored to
fix them from slipping when pulling the handle/trigger to tighten the clamp?

I've got quite a few and they are becoming very frustrating. I know they
have a life time warranty and I have already taken 3 or 4 back for exchange,
but this is getting old fast, I'm about to pitch em in the trash.

I read an advertisement about Jorgensens similar clamp saying they have 40%
more gripping power and that they don't slip. Anyone have any experience
with the Jorgensen quick clamps?

Thanks,

Paul

Hey Paul,

I have several Irwin Quick-grips. The shorter ones work better, and
last much longer. For longer clamps I prefer Jorgenson "Pony"
intermediate bar clamps. You have to twist the handles to tighten, but
they have the clutch design that makes them fast to adjust to near
tight. The quick-grips 24" and over are a waste of money for anyone who
actually needs clamping power on a daily basis. I can only figure that
the bar flexes just enough to defeat the clutch mechanism when under
load.

Tom in KY, been through a buncha' tools in the last 25 years.