Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Default Stropping

A hand strop is all you need to finish up an edge. Mine is a 12" scrap
of saddle leather glued to a 3/4" X 2" scrap of wood. A few strokes
puts a mirror finish on chisels, planes, knives, etc.
Charge it with any iron or Aluminum oxide buffing compound. I mix a
little chunk with mineral oil and rub the mess into the leather.
Charging only needs to be done occasionally when it slows down the
cutting action.
Bugs

That's understandable, but the "mirror shine" is not what we're looking for. It's the
actual sharpness, and it does take longer than a few strokes, many more than.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com