Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aerial wall socket outlet identification needed

In article ,
(Rob Morley) wrote:

In article ,
says...
In article ,
(Andy Burns) wrote:

wrote:

The outlet is on a community aerial in a block of 26 flats.
I'm not sure what the cables a

1) the outlet is in series with other flats an (I assume this to
be unlikely) some are wired like that, if it is you've
saved the other 25 residents the from the Queen's speech!

2) the incoming cables are one for TV and one for FM and the
outlet is actually a splitter.

Probably more likely, though if it were using a diplexer/triplexer
it could combine satellite/uhf tv/vhf fm/dab on one cable

Thanks

it looks like I'm going to have to take the outlet off and take it to
one of those firms that do contract installations to see if they can
identify it / supply a replacement..

Why not attach a length of coax to the back of the socket and run that
to a new outlet? Or you could just leave it dangling with an in-line
socket on the end.

That is one option which I might look at. I need to have another look at
the outlet. However, I remember seeing at least one capacitor there (and
possibly other components) which may mean that there is a special coupling
/ isolation between the two incoming cables and the solitary socket. I
need to have another look at the outlet and see what the circuit on the
PCB consists of.

Roger