Wayne Cook

Default Sparkies question-theoretical voltage from homade generator

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:50:14 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

Well, I was thinking about using a magneto's core and winding my own
coil to it. Because the core is iron, there must be some drag just
from the magnetic attraction. And during the day there will be no need
for lighting-hence the no load question. Putting the coil under the
flywheel precludes moving the core away from the magnets to reduce
drag. It looks like the voltage will be all over the place. So maybe
this won't work without regulation. Just kina thinking out loud.

Just go to your local small engine shop and buy a standard voltage
regulator. Most are rated for current capability with 10 and 15 amp
being the most common. Standard small Briggs just use a diode for
rectification but they don't charge real well and most mowers are used
at a fairly fixed rpm. But higher amp systems use actual regulators
with full wave rectification. You might also look into the coils off
various small engines. If you're lucky you might find one the right
diameter.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX