Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco

Default Which has the better cordless 18v. drill: Bosch or Hitachi

I had an older 14.4 volt Bosch and when
it "disappearded," I immediately
went and got another Bosch 14.4. BTW,
don't put it on the trunk door of
your wife's car ... nuf said. The one
thing that I like about the Bosch
is the one hand keyless chuck. There is
no back ring to hold. The shaft
internally locks when the dirll is not
running, so it tightens with one hand.
BTW, the new one also has some
ratchetting as it tightens. This is a
great
unit. BTW, someone mentioned that
DeWalt is the pro arm of B&D, well
Bosch and Skil are together (at least in
the US); Bosch being the higher end.

M.Joshi wrote:
KMoiarty Wrote:

Presently have an Hitachi cordless 14.4v. impact driver. Use it for
driving
screws into wood. Very pleased with it so far. But this is my first
ever
impact driver, so I don't really know whether I should be impressed
with
Hitachi or the fact that I'm now using an impact driver for screws
rather
(ostensibly a better match) than my (corded) drill driver. That said,
I am
in the market to buy a cordless drill driver (since I discovered my
impact
driver is not quite as handy as a dedicated drill for when used for
drilling). But I'm kind of torn between my long time admiration of
Bosch
tools and my current infatuation with Hitachi (or, at least, their
cordless
drivers). And since I'm not independently wealthy, I can't afford to
just
by one of each (although that would certainly make for a more fun
afternoon). Therefore I'm seeking
opinions/feedback/advice/experiences
related to cordless drill drivers by Bosch and/or Hitachi (and/or any
other
decent quality brand worth mentioning). Thanks in advance.

Ken

PS: Bosch and Hitachi both make a 1/2 in. drive 18v. drill driver that
puts
out up to 550 in.lb. of torque, even though the Hitachi one uses a 3.0
Amp/hour battery whereas the Bosch uses an only 2.4 Amp/hour battery.

I have not really heard of Hitachi power tools but that maybe just in
the U.K?

Generally Bosch are well known for their reliable motors in drills -
I'm not sure about cordless ones though?

Have you looked at DeWalt (Black and Decker's professional arm)?