bg

Default What is the future of manufacturing?

Ed,

Whats all the huff and puff for?

Look, it would be great to come up with a new economic theory that
will fix all the economic disparities in the world today. But its not
something that will happen tomorrow. People need solutions near-term.
So if that is a given, we need to work within the systems we have
available as best we can.

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message .net...
"bg" wrote in message
om...
jim rozen wrote in message

I don't ever recall Ed advocating protectionism. Quite
the opposite.

True, but here he is stating that he believes free trade does not
work. Well, what is the alternative? 2 others are commonly practiced,
outright protectionism, or "fair trade", which is a go between the two
others. Fair trade basically stands for protect what you need to
protect, when you want to, on a limited basis.

If he is looking for another method, he can wait a century or so, when
someone may come up with a different economic structure.

The irony here, bg, is that you advocate "innovation," and "change or die,"
for the people in US manufacturing who are having the slats cut out from
under them by low wages. But, when I suggest that we need an innovative idea
in trade relations, you limit us to the solutions from the past, and suggest
that it will take a century or two to come up with something new.

What's wrong with this picture?