Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tools.repair+advice,rec.woodworking

Default Which has the better cordless 18v. drill: Bosch or Hitachi

Wow... agree with everyone here. I have spent $$$ on different
cordless drills, and they are something I use every day.

Years ago, I bought a 14V Ryobi for $99, as I could not justify buying
the 18V DeWalt I really wanted for $329. I bought the DeWalt when
there was a sale on them for $299 or something like that. Along the
way, I got a great deal on a 14V Sears Professional 14V and bought a
Hitachi 12V for some reason or another.

All but the Sears Professional (the newest) are dead now. The
batteries/drills lasted about 3-4 years a piece, with the last year or
so of each needing the second battery to be on the ready at any time.
Oddly, the one that was used the hardest was the Ryobi, and it still
works for my roofing guys to use to drive about 25 1/2" screws before
dying. Perfect for them, as it is covered with tar and scuffed beyond
recognition. That drill has paid for itself about 100 times over.

The DeWalt 18V was the one I used the most, and you will come to
appreciate the amp hour rating when you are hanging and finishing
doors. Drilling out a door lockset, the the deadbolt, the peephole,
the extra security devices, attaching the closer and then fitting the
hinges is not for a weenie drill. The DeWalt worked great, and it last
about 3 years with me using it just like a corded drill. But when the
batteries died to about 20 minutes of use and I was contemplating a new
battery, the transmission gears gave up, so now I am using the Sears.
The Sears has the same amount of torque and it is a smaller drill. It
seems to have about the same battery life, and it was on sale for $99
in the display/scratch/dent basket when I bought it. It seems to be a
pretty good drill.

So I agree with all here. Find a drill that feels good in your hand,
and seems to have some balance. If you are using it for home projects
and need it to drive 40-50 screws and drill a few holes every once in a
while, almost anything you buy will be fine. One of my subs even buys
those $19 POS drills at Harbor Freight and loves them since they are so
cheap. He has to charge them for six hours or something along those
lines, but they seem pretty tough.

Robert