Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default Stropping

"Jeff Gorman" wrote in message

"C & S" wrote

I have been thinking about expanding my sharpening. I currently have a
waterstone with what I think is a 1200 grit side and 6000 grit side (It
was
so long ago that I bought the thing). I'm pretty happy with the results.
can shave hairs and all. Am I missing anything by never having tried
stropping as a final step?

If so, whts best for basic chisel, iron and lathe tools?

For the above, largely unnecessary. Stropping is a technique best reserved
for touching up the edges of carving gouges and cut-throat razors.

Jeff G, being dogmatic.

Nope, practical and correct, especially as regards any chisel not used
exclusively for paring.