Tim Williams

Default Sparkies question-theoretical voltage from homade generator

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
Well, I was thinking about using a magneto's core and winding my own
coil to it. Because the core is iron, there must be some drag just
from the magnetic attraction. And during the day there will be no need
for lighting-hence the no load question. Putting the coil under the
flywheel precludes moving the core away from the magnets to reduce
drag. It looks like the voltage will be all over the place. So maybe
this won't work without regulation. Just kina thinking out loud.

Could always hook it up like an alternator, put some slip rings on the
flywheel and replace the permanent magnet with an electromagnet; varying
the DC voltage, and thus current through this magnet, will change the
field intensity, allowing you to reduce voltage at high RPMs, increase
at low, and account for load variation as well.

Or you can slap on an alternator from a car.

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"