Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R. Zimmerman

Default anyone used diamond tipped blades in circular saw for cutting of soft aluminum extrusions ?

Extrusion material like 6000 alloys gum worse than other aluminums.
Many people waste the saw wax. Expose the blade and give it a short spin
under power. Wax each side of the blade as it coasts down. Make a cut
through a chunk of 2 by 4 to remove the excess.
The idea is that as the blade is used the wax will migrate down to the
carbide tips protecting them from gumming. You don't need a lot of wax but
it must be present all the time.
I periodically check my blade to ensure that there is a wax film on the
sides. I often can go for a couple of hours chopping extrusions before I
need more wax applied. Once the blade gets slightly dull send it out for
sharpening. No amount of wax will protect a dull blade. What happens next
is that the aluminum gums up the gullets then the blade loses a tooth or
gets bent. Use carbide blades manufactured for aluminum cutting.
Randy

"DanG" wrote in message

I have never used diamond, and I would be amazed if it would work.
Regular wood cutting carbide is more than adequate. Works well in
table saw, miter saw, router, hand held, etc. Lots of chips,
chips are hot, chips fly further than wood chips. Aluminum can
gum up a good blade, perhaps another poster can explain why. I
use a wax stick to reduce the tendency, but would always
appreciate more ideas.

(top posted for your convenience)
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"pogo" wrote in message
Has anyone used diamond tipped blades in circular saw for
cutting of soft
aluminum extrusions, etc. ?
Any comments from experience are welcomed !
Thanks !