Alden Hackmann

Default Turning disc of phenolic

(DoN. Nichols) writes:

It's quite an unnatural motion. A very few players use a quick
back-and-forth motion sometimes for a special effect.

Isn't the action of the "trumpet" (vibrating bridge) sensitive
to the direction of the wheel? Could a player opt to silence it by
turning backwards for a while? (Yes -- there are other ways to silence
it, but they require taking a hand from the crank, or the keys for a
little while.)

The trompette only sounds when (a) the wheel is being turned forward and
(b) the wheel is being turned faster. The player can silence the buzzing
of the trompette simply by turning the wheel more slowly.

I could also see a bayonet style connection between the crank
and the shaft, so you have to press the crank towards the body to
disengage the fittings.

This isn't a connection I'm familiar with - can you describe it to me?

Thanks,

Alden

--
Alden F.M. Hackmann

Web:
http://www.hurdygurdy.com/hg/hghome.html
"Beati illi qui in circulum circumeunt, fient enim magnae rotae."